SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeandbarb_gw

The time has come for dad to go into a home

mikeandbarb
15 years ago

Some may remember me posting about my dad. Well, we're at the stage of needing to place him into a home. I dread this time in my life but know it's for his on safety. I have health problems myself that keeps me from bring dad into my home and caring for him, so I don't have a choice.

His dilemma is getting worse. Although he has not had test done I know it is a memory problem. He can't read and retain what he's read. When he was given a new medication he had to keep asking me why he was taking it and what it was for.

DH and I was over at his house Sunday doing yard work and he said he needed to put his car into the shop. DH and dad was looking over the car and checking the A/C it wasn't working, dad was sitting in the car turning the knobs on the A/C and I walked over and he asked me if he had the A/C turn on right. When he asked me this I thought he does not need to be driving. I have the car in the shop right now and I'm tempted to tell them to hold off on fixing the car. Problem is he has another car that is a 1978 chevy, that had been sitting for 4 or 5 year's, he had it towed and the gas tank drained and oil change. He think's just because the car is running it's safe to drive. Well, the car has leaked most of the transmission fluid out of it and I'm just waiting till he get's broke down somewhere.

My fear if I tell dad he cannot drive anymore it would be the end. I fear he would commit suicide. He has guns in the house. I'm all by myself in caring for dad. DH is not much help, I don't know why he doesn't see what's going on but he doesn't.

I started going to meeting for care givers for people with dilemma. I have an appointment with dad's primary doctor in the morning. I don't hold out much hope in his helping me out cause in the past he has not done right by dad but I need a referral to get dad into a memory clinic. In the past dad's potassium was so low that he was unable to even talk and tell the doctor what was going on, my uncle at the time was caring for dad and would go in and talk to the doctor for dad.

Another problem is getting dad to the doctor or clinic, if he doesn't want to go he will refuse and I can't force him to go.

I'm sitting here shaking my head wondering how in the world I'm going to do what's needed to be done and pray all goes ok.

Maybe one of you have gone through this and can give me some insight on what I can do.

Thank's Barb

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus