SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floyd_devoid

Ageing parents dilemma

floyd_devoid
15 years ago

I am currently trying to find a way to deal with my ageing parents. Mom is 89 and dad is 82. He has been taking care of her for several years as she has been slipping further and further into dementia. He obviously can no longer take care of her and we kids have been trying to convince him of that but we canÂt get him to move on it. IÂve been trying to get him to move closer so we can help or get someone to come in and give him a break watching her. He says things like "IÂve tried telling her that IÂm going to get someone to come in and every time she has a fit." He just doesnÂt get it, that sheÂs not capable of making these decisions anymore. He gets angry when he has to keep repeating himself and acts like she should remember what he said. It seems that he just hasnÂt come to terms with the truth yet. All the while I wonder at how ironic it will be if they do move closer to me so that I can take care of them. My father is a devoted husband but never gave a fig for fathering and was never in his life there for me. Yet this motherÂs day as I was visiting I found a lot of empathy for him. Anyway, itÂs getting to the point of intervention. If he doesnÂt take steps soon I think my sister and I will have to take some kind of action. The house is becoming unfit to live in and mom is getting dangerously out of it. My two older brothers are acting as if nothing is wrong.

Comments (12)

Sponsored