Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Special Ways in our House

Posted by JeannineTX (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 05 at 1:24

I think some people not knowing us and coming into our house for the first time think I am some kind of idiot housekeeper. I don't care, soon as they are around long enough they know why-----The cookies are on the counter in a plastic flip lid box--There are a bunch of DVD's sitting on top of a large case------A tissue box on this same case---This computer has a TV Tray in front of it with a mouse pad on it. Just a few things that make my house different than "normal".
I am sure lots of you have had to change your home in ways that are not in the best designed homes books.
The day Michael had to drink that contrast at the image place, they thought they had to hold the cup for him to drink. I told them he can do it, just his way. Same for the house, it is set up so he can get cookies, he can watch his dvd's, he can get a tissue, and when he wants to use this computer the tv tray gives him a way to reach the mouse, since he cannot reach the keyboard.
Just in a mood, not bad, but sometimes I wonder if any of you feel you should have a better looking home. I don't care after 20 years of caring for Michael.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Special Ways in our House

Dear Jeannine....Our house was like that ,too. Your home is where you can have things as you want and need them. It would be awful to have a HGTV home and Mike not be able to do all he can. IMHO.I once commented that the house looked like a nursing home...I observed that we were taken over with equipment.....but it all fits in.
Let me share this quote, a favorite, from Pope John Paul II
"La gente dice que se esta bien en todas partes, pero siempre es mejor en casa" (The people say it is good everywhere, but always it is best to be at home).
Shalom....Derry

o

Jeannine, my sil has one of those bhg houses and i will admit it is gorgeous, but they don't use their upstairs they go down to the basement, who would want that at the best of times! my housekeeping skills are terrible, it used to be that you could probably eat off the floor not anymore. used to be if i didn't finish the dishes i'd stay up till they were done, now i figure who cares they'll be there a week from now! if i want to do something like quilt, i do it. anyways the odd time my mil comes over, she just gives that disgusting look my way, i figure who cares, i know where everything is and i'd rather enjoy my family than clean anyday! anyways back to your questions --are you ready for this one, i removed our bedroom door, it gives more room for that wheelchair to get in and out. also our dining room table is shoved against a wall and we now have the computer in the dining area. in the winter there is a 50 pound bag of kitty litter outside the door, to put on the ramp when it snows (gives traction and you can just sweep it off when it dries and it doesn't kill the grass), we don't have a cat. i figure it if makes our lives easier who cares what anyone else thinks! 57 and sunny already! debbie

o

Jeannine,
Ya home is ya castle.. Don't forget that!! You live the way you want to live!!

I know you do..

Almost 96 here.. Yessh...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here