SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairegold

Can we discuss 'manipulation'?

fairegold
18 years ago

Mother does not have AD, but she is 95, and yes, there are some things she gets confused about. Like she thinks that if the doctor says to take Tylenol every 6 hours for pain, that means that she always has to take it, and that acetomenaphen is not the same thing, but I can't get thru to her that she does not need it if she has no pain. Now it's the 81 gr baby aspirin, and it is not the same thing because it's another brand and looks different.

She is not adjusting well to the Assisted Living Services, and is upset when the aides show up to "help her". True, she doesn't need the help to undress for bed, etc, but when she's left to her own devices, she manages to hurt herself by trying to move furniture.

Tonight I got the whining call wherein she says she's like to slit her wrists. And can I come over to lunch tomorrow.

I told her that I will be there tomorrow after lunch to straighten out her medications, no lunch.

How do you deal with manipulation? What's real, and what is true manipulation? Where and when do you turn to outside help? And how can anyone really help?

Jim says that I need to screen the calls (I don't have caller ID) just because she won't leave a message on the machine, so I'll know it's her.

Seriously, tho, I think it's a subject for open discussion (I'm not really asking for help, but you all understand), what is really manipulation, how do you deal with it, and how do you control it?

Comments (7)

Sponsored