SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimi427

More Questions re: Alzheimer's patients

mimi427
19 years ago

Again, I want to thank each and everyone of you who responded. I cannot tell you how much it means to me to know there are people that truly understand what I am going through. My husband is trying, but I still feel he really doesn't "get it". There are times when I think he thinks my mom is just looking for attention, when the reality is she really needs my help.

You've all been going through this a lot longer than I have. I've noticed over the past 4 1/2 months that my mom is becoming increasingly dependent on me, which I completely understand; after all, that is why she is living with me. My concern and question is what will happen when my husband and I try to take a weekend for ourselves? I'm very concerned that she will be very nervous and aggitated and worry that I won't return. Every time I leave the house,even if only for an hour, she says "don't forget to come back" and I always say "I will come back, I always come back". I don't leave her at nite, only during the day for a few hours. If we're gone for a weekend, I have this fear she will sit and worry that I won't come home, and then she won't sleep. How do I go away to relax and re-energize if I'm dwelling on mom being anxious and worried? How do I get beyond that? I really do want to take a few days, and my husband is very anxious to get some alone time, but I need to be able to leave and feel she'll be ok. I know she'll be taken care of, I'm just concerned about her emotional state. I leave the house almost every day for about 3 hours when I go to my office and everyday I tell her where I am going, and everyday, as soon as I leave, she asks her care-taker "where is my daughter?" and continues to ask every 5 minutes or so until I return...I just can't get that out of my head...help!! Mimi

Comments (7)

Sponsored