SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glitter53_gw

Mom's admission to LTC

Glitter53
19 years ago

Wow. I don't know where to begin!! From the time we arrived there at their lunch hour and they invited her into her dining-room to join them, until the time we left several hours later, she was all smiles!!! The staff thinks she's just the sweetest lady, and she loved and huged and kissed everyone who ministers to her! I think the "snack cart" gal was taken by surprise!

I'm not sure where she thinks she is, but the weirdest thing happened when we were leaving home: I was holding her hand to help her into the van, and she took it in both her hands and thanked me for the hospitality!!!

In her new room she asked me to bring "the kids" more often, and I said I would and will also bring Tammy (our BorderCollie), and she said nooooo...we can't bring dogs here! Well....we can, and I will! ;-D

Oh, my goodness!! We put up her crucifix on the wall above her bed, family photos on her dresser, comforter, blanket and her own pillow on her bed, and when she realized the washroom was at the end of her bed, she clasped her two hands together as if to say thank heavens! Not such a long walk down the hall as she had at home!

I must be sounding very different than yesterday! From everything we learned today, the care she'll receive from the nurses, her care-workers (she has the same two each day always), her dietician, kinesiologist, chaplain, psychologist,....you gals were right! She's going to receive care we could never provide here! And if I've learned anything at all, it's that if anyone is hesitant about placing a loved-one into a good LTC facility, please approach it as a positive step! Mom is just loving the attention (she's such a diva, really!;-) and loves everyone in return! I have been told that their cognition could decline for a while, or appear so, but they will make the adjustment. OH...SO MUCH to take in!

It's strange at home, however. I feel so sad when I see her things still in her washroom here, and I haven't even gone into her empty bedroom, yet. That can wait until tomorrow. It'll be too difficult. Driving into our driveway, I quite naturally looked at the right-hand side of our living-room window to see if she was sitting there with her care-taker...and missed greeting her when we entered our home.

Over the next few days, weeks, there will likely be many such moments....but I'm comforted by what I've witnessed today: she's in a good, safe place, surrounded by people who care for her.

We'll be there tomorrow with her glider-chair, and I hope she's still the same.....

Ladies....THANK YOU so very much for sharing these past months with me...and this last, almost terrifying experience of placing Mom. You are, each of you, so compassionate, so wise....I will continue to visit and share with others who need help....

For now....Bless each of you...

((((((HUGS)))))

Lindi

Comments (11)

Sponsored