SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

Parkinson's + dementia + hip fracture

harriethomeowner
16 years ago

This is the situation right now with my MIL. She's 84 and in a nursing home. She has been walking very well for most of the year or so she's been there (in fact, she was the only person in the place who wasn't in a wheelchair), but over the past few months she's had several falls. The staff decided to keep her in a wheelchair so she wouldn't hurt herself, but they would come into her room and find her on the floor at various times. It must have been in one of these falls that she got the hip injury.

So here's the thing: the only real treatment for the hip fracture is surgery. I just can't imagine her going through the pain of surgery and recovery, including a long hospital stay, and then being able to participate in rehab. So what do we do? Which is worse: having her get the surgery with poor odds that she will benefit from it, or do nothing and ... what? She does have an advance directive, but I don't know if this falls into the untreatable condition category.

DH still needs to talk to the doctors. Perhaps it's not as bad as we're thinking it is right now. But has anyone here had experience with this? TIA.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH