Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Special needs trust? How to hold a rental...

Posted by zanna3 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 11, 06 at 19:53

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question; if not, please let me know. (I posted it on "household finances" as well.)

My adult daughter has a physical disability (similar to lupus or MS). She works and supports herself, except for medical expenses. Her monthly medical expenses are several times her income, and are covered in part by the Oregon Health Plan (OHP). To help her with the medical that isn't covered by OHP, I give her the income from a rental house I own.

I'd like to simplify this situation (and my accounting chores) by getting myself out of the loop. I'd love to just give the house to my daughter, but OHP would then consider the rent money as *income* to her, not assistance with medical bills as it is now.

I have arranged that after my death, a share of my assets will go into a special needs trust, the funds in which can then be used to help with her medical and not be considered income. But am I correct in understanding that this sort of trust can't work while I am alive? Is there something else I can do?

Thanks very much for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Special needs trust? How to hold a rental...

I wouldn't risk upsetting the present plan. What might work today, might be changed tomorrow and you wouldn't be able to go back and fix it. Anytime someone loses an eligibility, it's hard to get back. It's a tricky thing, but I can certainly understand your wish to make it easier for her. Talk to the attorney that drew up the trust. He may know of a way to get around it.

RE: Special needs trust? How to hold a rental...

Yes, I agree that it would be hard to do this. Is there another family member who can be in this loop? But the attorney will know best, I am sure. Good luck, and let us know if the attorney has any other good ideas.

RE: Special needs trust? How to hold a rental...

I would make sure that you talk to an attorney that really specializes in trusts. This might be a bit complicated for just a general practice attorney.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here