SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindajewell_gw

May I?

lindajewell
16 years ago

Hi all, I am Linda J and years ago found this wonderful Garden Web community but mostly hung out at the Party. Now I come to you wondering it I might join in from time to time in your conversations. Guess I just need some one to talk to some times.

My situation:

My 59 year old brother is in a long term care nursing home with Parkinson's. I do his laundry and visit with him, use to take him out once in a while but his disease is progressed and I can no longer handle him.

My mom had a massive stroke in Dec. and is now going to be long term care nursing home...........she is paralyzed on the right side, can speak but not always "good" but can not use her right arm and has very limited feeling back in the right leg. Now I do her laundry and visit.

Mom and brother are not in the same nursing home, however I am working on resolving that issue.

Now my dad, he is legally blind and has mild dementia. When all this started in Dec. I took FMLA from work but soon realized that I would not be able to go back. Yes, I could put dad in a home or assisted living but he really does not want that. Plus I know it would kill him..........

So, at the end of March I gave up my job and am in the process of giving up my apartment, which I love. It has been very rough over the last several months and I have found that unless some one has been through, or is going through some thing similar, others just don't always understand the stress.

I am very fortunate that my dad is just "forgetful" but is easy to care for..........for the most part. I help him shower, pick out his clothes (mainly because he is blind and would look like heck if I didn't) fix his meals, give him his meds and so on. I have POA over all 3 of them so must handle all situations.

Okay, that is the reader's digest version of my life

Linda J

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals