SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginnier_gw

Independent Living??? Or Stay in their own home?

ginnier
18 years ago

My folks sooo need to move where they can have their meals prepared, housekeeping and laundry done, have younger folks around them (the caregivers), make new older friends (the other residents). Mom's 83 and Dad's 85. I just wonder sometimes if I will regret encouraging them to make the move. They are on a waiting list and will probably be called within 6-8 months (they are not picky about having the largest 2 bedroom apt. available; they would maybe be content with a 1 BR if it's not tooo small). At this point I am driving 40 mi. 4X a wk. to take them around on a few errands, out for lunch or a drive...I go with them to see every dr. and am paying some of their bills, but only what Mom will let me LOL.

If they move, I believe they will not need as much of me, but I would still do the drs. appts, of course. BUT if something were to happen to one of them, then the other one is "stuck" in that apt. and I'm not sure either could live by themself. There is a Health Service available to meet some of those needs, but at a price.

It's not simple or clear cut. I just know that in their own home, they are both pretty isolated, and I want better for them. Anybody do this and then have regrets???? Help!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County