SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petaloid

Free guide booklet for Alzheimer's Care

petaloid
15 years ago

We're having a discussion on Kitchen Table forum about caring for loved ones with Alzheimer's disease. This is what we have shared so far, and I wanted to post it here for you.

Our compounding pharmacist gave us a wonderful free resource for those who care for loved ones with Alzheimer's disease. It should also be available at Wal-Mart pharmacies.

Coach Frank Broyles, athletic director for the University of Arkansas Razorbacks, created "Coach Broyles' Playbook for Alzheimer's Caregivers (A Practical Tips Guide)" with a "Pocket Reference of Tips and Strategies."

When his wife, Barbara, was diagnosed, he researched and put together the information he found in the form of a coach's playbook, saying, "I approached Alzheimer's disease much like I would an opponent on the field, with a solid game plan and a dedicated team."

The playbook has detailed sections for dealing with early, middle and late stages, and the pocket reference targets common problems such as refusing care, wandering and communication.

I'll put a link below to www.alzheimersplaybook.com where you can read and download the booklet and pocket reference. Also www.alz.org has this and more resources, plus a 24-hour helpline (800)272-3900

vannie and katclaws_mo also recommended:

"The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for Persons With Alzheimer Disease, Related Dementing Illnesses and Memory Loss in Later Life" by Nancy L. Mace & Peter V. Rabins, which can be purchased and may also be available at your local public library.

katclaws_mo said, "I've read it and it's an excellent book & considered the "handbook" for caregivers of Alzheimer's/Dementia patients. Also, been there, done that."

Here is a link that might be useful: read and download the booklet and reference guide

Comments (4)

Sponsored