Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greetings all

Posted by funkill (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 07 at 15:22

I used to chat on The Home Site for a long time ... but haven't been involved in many home projects for a long time ....

Today I had a few moments and decided to post about my home sale remodel efforts and noticed this forum!!!!!!!!! Hoo-ray - I'll have to spend some time reading back-posts.

I was just granted guardianship of my 66 yr-old mother who was recently diagnosed with dementia. I'm going nuts trying to put things in place. And although I have learned a lot during this process, meeting many sincere and caring folks along the way, I certainly need advice and support with much of this ... so I'll do some reading of the posts here and tell you more about my delimna's soon - and maybe I'll be able to help some of ya'll too!

I have a feeling there is a wealth of information here!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greetings all

Welcome to this forum. The members here are all so helpful and encouraging. And, as you suspect, there's plenty of good advice too. But the best part is just knowing that there are others going through similar circumstances and that they're willing to lend an ear.

Sue

o

I wish you the best. 66 is young for her to have that, poor gal. My grandmother spent the last 10 years of her life like that and it turned out it was a side effect of the heart med she had been on for a long time. I wish I had known that at the time.

o

My 80 yr. old mother has just entered LTC. I cared for her myself in my home for 3 1/2 yrs., my brother took care of her for just under 3 months.

This forum has been a godsend for me, but this is grim place; our wards are going to die and we are the ones who will make that eventuality as smooth and "easy" as possible.

Many of the stressful and unpleasant realities are aired here. Sometimes the things you read are really scarey. Those of us who have done the hard work of caregiving "get it" and we don't generally "sugarcoat it".

Welcome aboard... it will be an interesting journey.

o

I'm extending my welcome, too. My 91 year old Mom with Alzheimer's type dementia is now also in LTC. I did the in-home caregiving for 5 years and it was (and still is) something you take one day at a time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here