Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
still trying to take care of mom - and smile. NOT.

Posted by funkill (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 13:51

Hi all

Well, it certainly has been a long time since Ive posted. How time flies sometimes even when youre not having fun. This is what Ive been doing ..

I have had a very difficult year with my mom. I placed her in what appeared to be the "best" ALF in our area. It has been the best at draining her savings thats for sure. Now shes about out of money and Im trying to find alternate living for her. Because of her age (65) and high level of functioning, there arent any real good alternatives. What she needs is someone to manage her medications, provide her prepared meals, minimal laundry and give her HEAVY cues on when to bathe and clean her dishes. I researched getting her an apt close to my home but the cost of having a nurse dispense her medications and diabetes management makes it cost prohibitive. (I am her only living relative so I would need to hire several services to help with her care.) Fortunately, I did find an ALF that is about $2,700 less than where she is now and her monthly income should almost cover the cost. It is not memory-care, but its the best I can find for her. Thankfully she is not a flight concern and (unfortunately) spends 23 hrs a day on her couch watching TV. She will not use her bed, interact with any other residents or participate in any activities. I did hire a companion for her who visits once a week (though she goes much more often) and they go out for lunch, shopping, etc. This will have to cease soon because there arent the funds to continue! My mom will be very angry about this . But I refuse to pay for any of her care out of my own funds. You probably dont recall, but she and I have never been close as she spent my entire life drinking and being an abusive wife and mother. Shes lucky I acknowledge her let alone spend hours each week caring for her affairs (including all the responsibilities of caring for her home that will need to be sold ASAP). I regard my Guardianship as a second job (and it easily accounts for one with the amount of time I work at it). I try to employ the same standards I do for my primary job in ethics and quality of work. I give it my best but not my all. I wish I could visit my mom more mostly because I know it would improve the attention she gets in the ALF. But I have set boundaries and know that I cannot contribute any more time or energy now.

What a ride.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: still trying to take care of mom - and smile. NOT.

I understand the feelings that you have trying to do the best for someone whose company you don't especially enjoy. About all you can do is just what you feel comfortable with and forget the rest.

Here's one way of doing it. A little tricky, but it can be done. Sell her house. Then she lends that amount of money to you at a certain rate of interest. Put the money in CDs. The amount of money that the CD earns should about offset the amount of interest that you will owe on the "loan". This interest then goes to help pay her bills. Have it set up so that when she dies, the loan is forgiven and you get all the money in the CD.

We did this for my aunt when she had to go into a NH and her pension and SS money was not enough. I, as her agent, lent her money to the family business paying "her" a monthly interest payment which was paid to the NH. When it was all over, the principle of the note was intact and was distributed according to the terms of her will.

Just a thought as to a possible solution for you.

o
RE: still trying to take care of mom - and smile. NOT.

You're doing that second job responsibly & diligently, & that's an outstanding achievement indeed, given the situation.

My mother was an abuser, too, & when she began to fail, my brother, the favorite, & his wife handled things.

thank goodness.

It's a brave & responsible thing that you're doing, & it shows backbone & character.

Look after yourself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here