Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should live in caregiver wake non ambulatory elder for toileting?

Posted by mangomoon (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 13:42

I am a live in caregiver. This is my 2nd job. I was hired so that the non ambulatory lady in my care, would not be alone. She was left alone at night before I came in. This is my 2nd live in job. My last one lasted 8 yrs. The day time caregiver is fighting me on a subject, which is toileting. The elderly woman we care for is 92 yrs old and has Parkinson's. She is incontinent, however the day CG wants me to wake her to take her to the b/room several times per night, so that when she arrives for her shift in the a.m., there is less for her to do. I beg to differ and agree with Ellen's Dr, that it is ok to have her sleep the night in diapers, regardless. With her weak bones and disease, it takes 35 minutes to put her shoes on and prepare her via wheel chair just to take her to the b/room.

This is my first non ambulatory client. I fell into it when I interviewed and found they were "making Ellen appear like she could walk when she cannot". Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should live in caregiver wake non ambulatory elder for toilet

Enlist the doctor's help here. That should not even be an issue!

o

The primary needs of your patient are more important than the wishes of her day care person... or yours. If your lady wishes to sleep then let her sleep; but if she is uncomfortable being wet during the night then you need to clean her and change her into dry.

Would it make a difference if you got her up in the morning and cleaned her up for the day?

o

Parkinson's patient need good sleep to have the energy to function the next day. She should also be safe. She therefore needs to be able to sleep in peace, other than diaper changes through the night, and giving her water to drink and if she is hungry a snack should also be given as long as she is able to sit upright in bed. do not pay attention to the day caregiver in this respect. however you can help by may be helping with some light housekeping or laundry which may unburden her a little. the patients care, welfare, and rest comes first and foremost. Trust me, an elderly person with Pd and limited mobility has enough to worry about. also get the family member invloved. hopefully she was not left all alone through the night before you came on board.

o

Another thing, is abedside commodeis a must atthis point, soshecan be transferred from bed directly onto itinstead of trying to get to the toilet. If she has to poop at night and it can and. does happen, then she is right next to the commode.ask her family to provide this for her, for safety and to make her life easier. you can add a quart of water to commode before seating her on it, to prevent it from getting smelly. you should also beable to wash her with water from the back with a large jug of water for hygiene purposes and prevent soreness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here