SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glitter53_gw

Mom's Alzeimers assessment

Glitter53
19 years ago

Well, she didn't even do one. From chatting with Mom, she said it's very evident that Mom's in final 2nd to early 3rd stage of Alzeimers. That was a shock to us. I wasn't familiar with the stages, but having talked to Susan about them, yes....Mom's in stage 3. And it happened so quickly! Susan explained that, too: the Aricept she was taking for her memory-loss kept her at a certain point in her cognition. When it stopped working (and it does), instead of the long slow downward slope of Alzeimers, it's as if she was dropped off a cliff and barrelled her way through the first two stages in very rapid succession. And, having more minor TIAs has exacerbated the situation.

So. Here we are, waiting for CCAC to start the paperwork on her placement. One thing that Susan did say that made me feel good, is that Mom must have received very excellent care for the past 11 years she's been with us, as she's very comfortable, not aggitated, etc. AND that as far as us caring for her, it's not only unfair to us, it's also unfair to Mom, who need professional care now, to see her through the final stage. All I know is that we're exhausted.

CCAC should be here within a half hour, so we'll see what comes of that, and what the waiting list is like. I'm guessing 6 months to a year...who knows??

Just thought I'd drop a quick note...things sure are changing quickly...

Blessings

Linda

Comments (16)

Sponsored