SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittiemom

Alzheimer's & acting out

kittiemom
11 years ago

I got a call last night from Dad's facility that he hit another resident. DH & I were grocery shopping only a few minutes away & went right over. The young lady on staff explained that she heard Dad calling for help & went to his room. She said the other resident was on his hands & knees & his nose was bleeding. She asked what happened & Dad said he hit him. They got the guy up & checked him over & of course by that time Dad had forgotten what happened. The other resident is nonverbal and of course neither of them would be reliable anyway, so we'll never know what actually happened. She said they sent the guy out for eval as standard procedure but he seemed okay. The staff thinks the maybe the guy wandered into Dad's room and scared him. They were very surprised and said they would never have thought from Dad's normal behavior that he would hit someone. I'm still in shock. I was so shocked when she called that I started crying in the grocery store. It is not at all like Dad. He's normally so controlled. He's also been saying mean things to the other residents lately, which isn't like him either. I'll be talking to the doctor about the possibility of meds to relieve anxiety. I don't know what else to do. I want to try to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Comments (4)

Sponsored