SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeandbarb_gw

I have concerns in caring for Dad

mikeandbarb
18 years ago

I'm not sure where to start but here goes. I am the only care giver for my father. My sister did something's that my father and I can no longer trust her with taking care of him.She was my only relief for weekends till a month and a half ago. Now I've been driving over to dads everyday taking care of thing's that needs taking care of but last week I was feeling a little down and having some problems of my own. Now this week dad is telling me that maybe I should just come over a few days a week so it's not so hard on me. Nice thought but he's not doing all that well, In the past he's had trouble with his potassium being to low and he's not eating right. Let me state that he's been alone -divorced since 1968 , he will not use a microwave or even a toaster over to warm up his food , he eats it cold. My husband and I have been trying to get him to take better care of himself but he will not listen to us.

Plus he does get confused at times when ever I try to explain something to him he doesn't understand and I have to tell him over and over.

He skips mid-day meals also, I looked up on what to do for low potassium and I told him he needs eat a mid-day meal that it doesn't have to be a big meal just something to replace the potassium. He has problems sometime urinating of not going for hours up to 4 to 5 hours. He doesn't have the feeling of pressure on the bladder to go. He had surgery on his prostate back in Dec. and his Doctor said everything is fine?

Also he takes meds that help him to go to the restroom and the info that I got online said that water pills depletes your potassium. I've explained this to him trying to help him understand but I'm not sure he does.

I also printed out foods that are good for replacing potassium hoping he would use the list and eat from these food groups.

Also when it comes to taking full care of my dad when and if the time comes I will not be able to do anything that requires bathing or lifting him. I have a very bad back and cannot lift more than 10 pounds.

This is so very hard to handle seeing dad going down hill, I had no idea it would hurt so much.

Thanks for listening and letting me vent

Comments (6)

Sponsored