SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katclaws_mo

Stages of Alzheimers...set up by Alz.org

katclaws_mo
19 years ago

Hello everyone,

I noticed that some posters were talking abou different stages of Alzheimers. I would guess that everyone has a different opinion, but according to the Alzheimer's Association they have it broken down into 7 stages.

At some points in time our loved ones cross back over or are sort of in between two stages. The one thing I've learned about AD is that there is no consistancy. It doesn't follow neat and easy patterns.

Two more things I would like to mention as I wonder if there are those new caregivers who are not aware of Namenda (mematine) This is used in conjunction with another AD drug such as Aricept, Reminyl or Exelon.

We got my mother on this drug last January '04 when it was first approved and it made significant changes by slowing her AD progression. I know it won't last forever, but has been over a year now and she is still doing well with it. It is fairly expensive....about $150.00/ month, but I figure that if it helps her keep as much of her indedpendence and keep her "personality" with us longer it is well worth it. There are still so many things she can do for herself, with minor supervision.

The third point I'd like to make is that I have gotten tremendose help from the Alzheimer's Association. (Most cities have local chapters that meet at differnt days & times to try to accomodate those who have so little time because of their caregiving. The support group really does help. The information & resources they have mailed us and the info on the website has been very helpful.

Yesterday I got a call from a volunteer just to see how things were going. I know that I can call them just about 24/7 (and have) and they will call back and even make random calls about once a month sometimes just to see how I AM DOING. It is well worth it to contact them, even if you don't join a support group.

Special Thought & prayers to those who are walking this difficult path.

Blessings, katclaws

Here is a link that might be useful: 7 Stages of Alzheimers

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County