SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

Taking Thiungs Away (WARNING_LONG)

jannie
13 years ago

Here's the situation: My husband is now 64, has had progressive MS for years. Neurologist has tested his memory and problem solving, says he has "Alzheimers-like" symptoms. Then in January he had seizures, spent a month in Rehab hospital. Seoizures are controlled with twice-daily doses of Tegritol, neurolgist say's he's on it for life. He got home care for two months, released/discharged from home care this week. He's much bwetter, walking inside with a walker, outside on electric scooter. Due to seizures, he is not allowed to drive for a year. I took away hois keys, lied and said they were stolen at the hospital. But he wants to drive. Now I am happy to run any errands. And he can manage to get to the car using the walker. The scooter comes apat and can go in the car, so I'm willing to assemble and take it apart. Just last night we went out for pizza. But DH says "I should be driving. I'm out of practice." I don;t think that's true. He's discussed it with his neurologist, who put it bluntly. Suppose you lost consciousness and caused a fatal accident. How would you feel? Well, DH is a usually sweet guy, but he keeps asking me "When can I drive?' The Alzheimers-aspect makes him rather surly. When I say "next January" he yells "Shut up. That's not what I want to hear. You're a downer." He also lost his cell phone and I'm reluctant to get him another. He's mainly home-bound. If he needs to make a call, we have a land line. Again he nags. And today he's bugging me to clean out our chest freezer. It's a lot of work. He can't physically help. So I'd have to do it all. I told him "I'll do it on the weekend" and he yells "No, it needs to be done earlier. Friday is the last chance." I'm beside myself trying to keep him appeased. I'm his sole caregiver. I have my own health issues, kidney failure, and I'm exhausted by his demands. A final thing, he lost his watch in the hospital. I think it was stolen. He bugs me to buy him another. We have clocks all over the house. How can I deal with his constant demands?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax