SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redneckmom_gw

In need of information

RedneckMom
19 years ago

Hi everyone. I am a new member. I have a 19 year old daughter who was born with Spina Bifida. She is a parapalegic with hydrocephalus. She has had 29 operations to date with more to come. We are a single income family of 5. My husband works and I care for our daughter, sons and the home. She recieve SSI benefits which covers almost all of her supplies and needs.

My question is this. Our home needs to be modified as she is going into a larger wheelchair. Is there any orginazations that could help with these expences? Also, she in her chair wieghs about 155 lbs. It is getting very hard for me to lift her in and out of our van. My back has had it. Do you know of any places where I can purchase a used lift or that donate? I have checked with local Masons and Shriners and have not had any luck. I take her to her doctors appointments and that is about it. She and I both are suffering from depression because we are in the house 24/7. My husband has had 2 back operations and cannot lift her for fear of injuring himself. If that happens we will lose his income and he is the only one working.

I have no help with my daughter. It is really hard bathing her. Our tub has a step on it and I cannot find a tub chair wide enough to fit it.

I do not mean to whine. I have cared for her all of her life with no help from anyone. I am getting older and my body is breaking down. Are there any resources avalible for people with disabilities?

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

Comments (7)

Sponsored