Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New thread about movies

Posted by sushipup (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 1:00

Movies about caregivers, illness, and the like. And they don't all have to be morbid or sad, either.

We just saw The Intouchables, a French film based on a true story. It's about a very wealthy paraplegic Frenchman who hires a Senegalese immigrant from the projects as a caregiver. Very funny and yet very real.

Another wonderful movie is "Away From Her" with Julie Christie, who was nominated for best actress for her portrayal of a woman with early-onset Alzheimers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0491747/?ref_=sr_1

And there's "The Savages" with Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney (Oscar-nominated) as siblings dealing with their father.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0775529/?ref_=sr_1

All available thru Netflix.

Any other movies?

Here is a link that might be useful: The Intouchables

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New thread about movies

No offense, but there's to much sadness in life without choosing to watch it. If it was a movie about how to care for a patient that would be helpful. My husband had AZ and Mom had dementia, I don't want to go there in any form. I don't have a lot of years left and I want them to be as carefree as I can make them. I think to often about losing my own memory, don't need to see more of it. I had rather watch up lifting movies, they make me feel good, especially if Sean Connery is in it. LOL

o

All the movies I mention focus on the caregiver, and none of them are morbid at all. There's a lot of humor in each, and all are uplifting and thought-provoking.

o

I didn't say they were morbid, It's just more sadness in our lives if we have been hurt by this. There was a new movie out a few years ago about a mother losing her memory and had to be convinced to go to a home. That was before I experienced dementia in any form and I still didn't want to see it. I don't watch movies about drugs and delinquent teens either. Like I said there is to much sadness in our daily lives without watching it on TV.

o

Agree with sushipup - Intouchables is a GREAT movie. Definitely worth viewing; might be on Netflix now?

And although it's not strictly a caregiver's movie, Michael Haneke's fabulous "Amour" was an easy winner for Best Foreign Film at this year's Oscars.

o

We got it from Netflix by mail. Yes, I'm looking forward to Amour, too.

o

Another good one is Robot and Frank, set in the 'near future' with a robot as a caregiver.

Here is a link that might be useful: Robot and Frank

o

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

I too don't want to watch movies about what I'm living thru'. They make me cry. I want funny and light hearted.

I wish I had a really good, futuristic robot to help -- that would always be here and wouldn't decide to just not show up one day. Grrrrrrr.

o

Big Fish - which is kind of a round-about way of addressing a relationship with an aging or ailing parent, but it's one that brought me a great deal of comfort.

NeverWas, which is also not an easy film to watch, but is also about coming to terms with our parents, and our selves as humans.

have heard great things about Robot and Frank, it's on the list, but the list is long, and free hours are short.

o

Years ago Oscar-winning actress Joanne Woodward was in a TV movie playing a woman with early Alzheimers. I think it was called "Do You Remember Love?" There was a scene where she couldn't find her car in a parking garage. Hmmm, that's happened to me.

o

Jannie, One time I drove my Dad's car downtown and parked in an underground garage. At that time they had attendants to get your car for you. When he asked what car I gave him "MY" car information. He finally came back and said I can't find your car anywhere. I forgot I drove Dad's. LOL Needless to say I felt a little foolish!

This post was edited by EmmaR on Tue, May 28, 13 at 19:35

o

"We just saw The Intouchables, a French film based on a true story. It's about a very wealthy paraplegic Frenchman who hires a Senegalese immigrant from the projects as a caregiver. Very funny and yet very real."

I saw this movie and agree with you. It was very good.

On that note, I'd like to see more movies made about folks that overcome disabilities or at least find some sort of peace with their situation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here