SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Hospital keeps my father waiting all day

jenn
17 years ago

Hello,

I am not a caretaker (yet) but I don't know where else to vent this so I thought I'd post here.

My father (age 86 and in good health) had emergency abdominal surgery the other day (for a non-life-threatening condition). His doctor told him yesterday that he could go home today, but said that another doctor would be filling in for him today. My mom went to the hospital bright and early this morning to be ready to take my dad home. Apparently, the doctor "forgot" and never came by to officially discharge my dad. Finally, after waiting ALL DAY, my mom called my dad's regular doctor this evening. He called the surgeon, who immediately gave the orders to discharge my dad...... tonight at about 8:00 PM!!! My elderly parents therefore had to drive home in the dark... in pouring rain!!!!!

I just got off the phone with my dad after finally reaching them at home. As usual, he is taking this in stride (he has a very good nature) but I am really angry about this. I've seen this done before by other doctors.

Is this very common practice? I am so mad I want to write a letter to the hospital but I don't know the doctor's name and my parents probably won't want me to do that. I know mistakes happen but I also think that this goes on a lot and no one says anything so doctors get away with it.

ARGH! Thanks for letting me vent!

Jen

Comments (12)

Sponsored