SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laydeebug72

Mom acting out and being manipulative

laydeebug72
11 years ago

My mother is only 67 years old lives alone and is just an attention hog. I am the baby with a family and lives about 5 miles away. My sister who is the oldest lives 4 hours away and has a family. Her only conditions are arthritis ( mild) mine is much worse (rheumatoid), she also has high blood pressure and about 3 years ago she had stints put in. Other than that no serious medical issues but you would think that she has had a stroke, cancer and everything else. I think her main issue is that she is lonely. She has mentioned many times wanting to live with me or my sister. Neither of us would mine this however, when she comes to visit or when we visit she acts as if she is severely handicapped. We are afraid that if she does she won't cook, clean, bathe or anything just allow us to wait on her hand and foot. She calls everyday telling me if every pain she has headache, backache, anything to get our sympathy and attention even crying. It's getting to be annoying. She even tells friends and family that she need to live with us. Iove my mom dearly and does almost everything for her but she doesn't even try to be independent. We feel as if she is trying everything to just make us feel sorry for her. What should we do?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner