SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Don't want to be a burden...

sweeby
16 years ago

That's my mother's mantra -- and she means it. She absolutely doesn't want to be a burden. And SHE ISN'T. She's a kind, witty and fun person to be with, and I'd love to spend more time with her in the few months we have remaining.

But she doesn't want to be a burden, and turns down almost all of my invitations outside of our 'standard' weekly family dinner. She's extremely intelligent and cultured and doesn't have 'mass-market' tastes, so the usual shopping excursions, movies and 'girl-outing' activities genuinely don't appeal to her. And she's lost her appetite, so even lunch doesn't appeal. OK - I get that. So I search for things that might interest her - musuem exhibits, art shows - but then I get the usual excuses - "Don't want to be a burden", "You must be busy with your own family" (I am), "My own MIL put me through such Hell (she did) and I won't do that to you and your husband" (she never would)...

So how can I convince her that she's NOT a burden? She isn't! My Hubby adores her and she knows this too. Truly, I feel honored that she chose to spend her last year or so with us in our city. I know these last few months are a gift, and I don't want to waste them.

I'd particularly love suggestions that would get her out of her apartment. (She chain smokes and the air in there really aggravates my lungs - though I haven't said so.)

Comments (4)

Sponsored