Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mother can't hear the telvision

Posted by heidiho (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 11 at 18:52

I'm in the process of moving my mother to my home. She's 87 and ready for me to care for her on daily basis.
When I go to visit her now the television is very, very loud and I'm wondering how to solve this problem when she moves in with me.
She will never agree to hearing test. I've tried several times to discuss it with her and she says no and to close the subject. I've read up on several different types of earphones but none seem to be what she will be able to adjust to.The ones that fit on outer ear seem bulky and because she spends most of her time in bed watching tv she will not be able to lay on her side. The ones that fit in the ear have wires and she naps off and on all day and will get tangled in them. I have not seen very many good reviews on either type of earphones.
Don't think she can keep up with closed caption as I have problems keeping up with the words.
Is there a solution to this problem?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time and have a nice day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mother can't hear the telvision

Heidi, I think you've answered your own question. At 87, she probably won't adjust to anything. You might have to invest in earplugs for yourself or confine her TV to a separate room and keep the door closed. Maybe install a plug-in intercom so she can "buzz" you when she needs you.

Your description of her stubbornness regarding hearing aids, napping habits, and use of her bed for TV viewing make it pretty unlikely that you'll be able to effect a change in her behavior. The changes will probably have to come from your end. (By the way, closed captioning is great only if you can keep up with it and your brain can fill in the blanks or override the gobbledygook that appears from time to time. I'm hearing impaired, and I've used CC for years. But it's not as easy as some might think.I definitely don't think an elderly person can easily adapt to it. They need to have used it for quite a while and be old hands at it.)

I'm truly sympathetic. My mom suffered some hearing loss in her later (over 90) years. I took her to my audiologist to be tested. But I could tell as he discussed hearing aid options, that she would never be able to adjust to them. Little knobs, dealing with something in her ear all day long, etc. She couldn't adjust to glasses for nearsightedness, so there was no way she could handle hearing aids.

I don't want to sound too pessimistic. There are some elderly loved ones who embrace the latest technology. It sounds like your mom isn't one of those, but I could be misreading your information. I know my mom couldn't handle anything new and eventually was unable to handle the limited technology she had mastered in her 70s and early 80s.

Good luck, and don't lose heart. This is NOT an uncommon problem. Many caregiving children complain about the loudness of their parents' TVs & radios. It's also found its way into comedic sketches, along with the jokes about the heat in old folks' homes. You definitely are NOT alone!

o

Get her some head phones. My neighbor's husband is almost deaf and that is what he did. He was driving his wife crazy. His were wireless, they had a volume control for the wearer.

o

shambo: Thanks so very much for the encouragement. You are so right about Mom not wanting to adjust to a new way of living and I can understand that. Many times I wish things were simple as years back with only 2 or 3 kinds of soap, deodorant ect.ect.to choose from. It was such a quiet and laid back time. I do miss that.
I will make up my mind to wake up each morning and remember all the wonderful things she did for me and I'll just take it one day at a time.

vala55: May try these head phones.

Thanks so very much to both of you for the quick response and help.

o

Just some thoughts. Are you by yourself? Spouse? family? etc. Remember this is YOUR home and as we seniors get older, (i am almost 80) we are now the children and you are the parents. DO not let her rule your home. Be firm and tell her no TV if she does not go to the dr to get her hearing checked. Loud noise will damage your hearing, plus the neighbors won't like it. Sorry to be so negative, but I went thru this with my Mom years ago. You could hear the TV across the street. I just turned it off. But then she did not live with me and I will not live with my children. We have excellent assited living homes and nursing homes here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here