Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
elder law and estates

Posted by beaglebuddy (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 8, 06 at 14:30

My mother is in a nursing home and my father is still at home w/ an aid. I understand there is a way to seperate their finances so medicaid (california) will pick up the nursing home fees that do not get paid by their long term insurance and we won't have to reimburse the state after she passes. Anyone familiar w/ all this ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: elder law and estates

Oh, yes! There's a lot of great information available. Send an email to Len Tillem who has the 4-7 PM radio show on KGO. He specializes in elder law and exactly what you are talking about.

I sent an email and got a very prompt answer to my immediate question. And if you need to hire this law firm, they do cover the whole Bay Area. And it is wise to pay the money now and get everything in order.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Len Tillem

o
RE: elder law and estates/

PS, the radio show is Saturday and Sunday.

o

Yeah I listen to him every weekend, can't remember him awnsering this specific question. I thought I was on top of it , we have a trust, long term insurance ect.. but when looking for a nursing home for mom, she is going from assisted living, one of the directors mentioned this, because the higher cost of a nursing home will now exceed the payout from the long term insurance.

o

Send him an email, and you can clear up some of your questions. Medi-Cal planning is a specific specialty of his. Let us know what you learn, and then we can all add to our knowledge.

Good luck!

o

My situation is a little bit different from yours, but I think the division of assets should have been done when the person entered the home. I live in Kansas, but medicaid is a federal service so am assuming it will be the same everywhere. I talked to an SRS rep today about care homes, medicaid and the division of assest and this is what I found out. If/when I put my husband in a care home, I will pay the first months bill. Then I will go to the SRS taking in proof of our financial resources. I will then fill out a medicaid form and will learn how much of our assets will be for my husband and how much income for me. The money will all be left in my control, I will pay the nursing home bill and when I spend down to a certain amount medicaid will step in and take over my husbands expenses. I read in the paper about Medicaid was thinking of putting liens on the spouse's home to recover their expenses. I was concerned about that. I question the SRS rep and he said that has not taken affect yet. I mentioned I might need money and have a need to buy a cheaper home so I would have money to live on. He said in that event the lien would be signed off and likely be put on the next home I buy. I was much relieved talking to the rep because I have gotten to the point I need some R&R, if I don't get it, my husband will have to go to a care home. I have already had some stress problems health wise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here