SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanninetx

Disabilities differ

jeanninetx
18 years ago

Reading Deborahs post reminded me of this.

Everyone is so different in their disability, the same disability can still be different in each person.

My son is what is known as a "incomplete Quad" that means he can feel some parts, work some parts, and this all depends on what part of the spinal cord was damaged.

He can feel over 75% of his body, maybe not the exact location, but he knows something is causing pain. He can move his arms and from the shoulders up, but not his hands. That was so weird when he was diagnosed, you can move your arms all over, but your hands cannot be opened or moved.

We got him a van he could drive from his chair, then he developed a terrible spasm problem, cannot drive if your body goes into spasms and you have to use both arms to grab the chair to keep in it.

So like most problems not everyone is the same. Even if you have the same diagnoses.

Alzheimers/Dementia are good examples of this, some can stay at home with loved ones, others cannot. Some just need constant nursing and guarding.

I guess that is why this forum is so good, you can talk about a disibility/medical problem and find others dealing with the same thing. You can at least realize you are not alone with this problem.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio