Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weighed spoons for tremors

Posted by dcrowex (dcrowex@aol.com) on
Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 13:02

Can someone suggest a good brand on this. I found several on Amazon.com and they vary slightly in design and weight. My FIL has tremors but not from Parkinsons. I heard about these from his therapist. Do they help? can you recommend one?
Thank you.
deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weighed spoons for tremors

Never heard about it. I do know some meds can cause tremors. I tried a pain pill after a couple of doses, I felt a tremor, it was on the inside. My hand was not visibly moving. I read the insert, it was mentioned and could be permanent.

o
RE: weighed spoons for tremors

Where I worked we gave weighted spoons to the clients who had spastic movements or any type of tremors so that they could feed themselves.
I'm not sure of the exact weight of the handles, as I did not purchase them; but the more uncontrolled movements, I would use the heavier spoons. They also have weighted forks and dishes which adhere to the table top to avoid slipping.

o
A site for ordering weighted utensils

I just looked at a site called AbleData.com and saw the typical weighted utensils which we used at our day program.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here