SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

Cabin fever

chelone
19 years ago

I'm suffering from a FULL BLOWN case! (how does heydeb. survive?! :) ).

Yesterday we received another 8" of pretty heavy, wet snow. I knew the beauty parlor app't. would be cancelled. So I let Mum sleep. Long about 10:30, her highness came up the staircase. I'd already taken care of the morning chores. I'd set her fruit out early, so it was room temperature (we both prefer it that way; seems to taste better). I made her a fresh pot of de-caf. coffee. I made her 3 whole wheat pancakes with apple slices. She gobbled up every bite.

But rather than grumble about the snow and the added inconvenience I simply "rolled with it". We watched the snow fall all day long. We read, we watched TV, we napped. We TOOK THE DAY OFF.

And I was reminded that as a caregiver, finding time for ME is probably MORE important than tending to Mum's needs; if I'm not healthy, reasonably content I have NO hope of being able to deal with the responsibility on a day in, day out basis.

Initially, I was resentful of the time required on "my" weekends; now I'm not. I genuinely get a kick out of planning the breakfast menu, having it all set to go when "the lady of the house" arises, and presenting it to her. She ALWAYS remarks how pretty the setting is... (I use pretty china and silverware) and what a luxury it is to have food "appear".

When the winter lingers too long and the walls begin to converge you have to find satisfaction and fulfillment elsewhere. How do you do it? what keeps you going when you don't think you can take one more minute of the responsibility?

Is everyone else out there doing OK? I sure hope so!

Comments (4)

Sponsored