SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginnier_gw

Elderly Parents

ginnier
19 years ago

I wish I knew where to draw the line on whether my parents should continue living alone. I live 40 mi. away and visit several times a week to take them on errands and see to meds. At this point, Dad's many meds get taken properly most of the time (I call and remind Mom to give Dad his morning or evening meds). But Mom is less and less interested in fixing a decent evening meal; so they are both starting to lose weight even tho we go out to eat 3X a week, at least, AND there is plenty of fresh food and canned goods and frozen entrees. I am on the verge of moving in--I have stayed with them on occasion when they have been ill or needed me. Dad had a stroke in June and is really slowed down mentally; he confuses his days and dresses for church on Sat.--that type of thing. I'm beginning to wonder if he does not recognize when he is full; it seems like he's ready to eat again in two hours!! Between the two of them, they can usually handle the phone, the bills, light meals. They do get Meals on Wheels 2 days a week and that helps sooo much. They have a cleaning gal 2 days for a couple hours, which I am beginning to re-think. My intention was to have someone in the house to observe my folks AND do the housework, but Mom keeps them so busy that they don't really interact too much. I have wondered if Mom sends them home early but still pays them the full 3 hrs.... Mom has emphysema and is relatively sedentary altho her mind is bright, but she smokes and drinks. So it is hard to decide to put them in assisted living, because Mom would have to "suffer" the adjusting. Dad still wants to play a little golf (we'll see if he can handle it this year; he does have his public park golf pass and a new club...LOL he called and ordered them on the phone!!) and he goes to an exercise club and does some light exercise with a few friends (some days it's sounds more social than physical). Sooo, at this point I visit 3-4 times a week for several hours and most of those days I return home wondering if they really need more care. There's an issue once or twice a week: maybe Dad doesn't take his meds in the morn; mom has a spell of being super exhausted and is taking a nap at 9 a.m. As you know, there's lots of angles to this. I love them bunches and want them to live in their home as long as possible. But sometimes I think the social side of assisted living would be wonderful for them...and then other times, I think, Mom would still sit and watch game shows in her room and Dad would wander from friendly person to friendly person chatting about WWII and other big things in his life. Can anyone make sense of all this for me??

Comments (10)

Sponsored