SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glitter53_gw

I'm not sure I can place Mom....

Glitter53
19 years ago

What a lousy position to be in. We've had Mom living with us for just over 10 years, and up until now, they've been pretty good ones. Particularly the early years.

Yet here we are today, talking about something I swore I'd NEVER do: place Mom in a LTC facility. Both her neurologist and our doc have confirmed that she has dementia/Alzeimers and whatever it is, it's come on so very quickly, perhaps only in the past month or two. Many of you know about her "visitors" in her room, not knowing the time of day it is (morning or evening), people watching her from the tv, but it's the little things that are so difficult to deal with now. Just getting her to the washroom...her slow, stooped-over shuffling, then the numerous pauses...playing with the tap water and not doing what she has to do, leaving the tap on, staring at her pill container and having to be encouraged each time that, yes...they're the same pills you take every morning...many times over, until she finally puts them to her mouth...Sitting with her as she's chatting, mostly to herself about nothing at all....Maybe I'm just not patient enough...maybe not understanding enough...

Then I think about a LTC facility and wonder what the heck is so great about that?! Who'd sit with her and do those things for her? Who'd make sure she ate enough? She'd miss her comfy bed! Her blankets! Her tvs!!!

OMG.....what can I possibly be thinking?! I know our doc says my DH's and my health is being compromised by caring for her and dealing with a sociopathic son (who lives out of our city, thank heavens, but emails anyway)...and my DH is going to need heart-valve surgery one day, and we're not getting any younger and time seems to be flying away for us to have the kind of retirement we always thought we'd enjoy.....OMG!!!

And today she seems almost normal.

I'm not sure what I'm saying or if I made any sense at all here...just wanted to vent, I guess...We have her care-supervisor coming over next week to do some paper-work for placement, and a rep from the Alzeimer's Society is coming on Friday to do an assessment, so at least we may know where she is and what her prognosis may be in the near future, and we can always say no if a room becomes available, but geez......I just don't think I can do it....I don't think I can place Mom in a LTC facility until she no longer recognizes us or knows where she is.....

Thanks for letting me spout off here....it feels safe, and I know I won't be judged....This is just awful.....

Comments (15)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio