SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
two25acres

Dimentia and now social worker wants a visit.

two25acres
12 years ago

My mom's husband is suffering from Dimentia/Alzheimers. The doctor has informed us that his case appears to be progressing at a rapid pace. We are constantly amazed at how quickly it is going. A couple of weeks ago he was hospitalized for congestive heart failure. During his stay he did his usual night time wandering and was able to get as far as 5 floors away to the emergency room. He caused some problems for the night nurses and they had to call my mom several times during the night to calm him down. As a result a social worker has called my mom and wants to pay a visit to their home to "offer assistance". I'm leary of this especially since it was on the heals of this hospital stay. Spoke with the lawyer who is helping us with all the legal aspects of things and he was concerned that they wanted to come in and see if he was in a safe place and if they deemed it unsafe that they would start proceedings to have him removed. I'm trying to cover all the bases on this. We have alarms on the doors, stop signs on the doors. Lights at night to help him find his way to the bathroom. A sign on the bathroom door noting it is "Darolds bathroom". We've removed all the throw rugs to avoid tripping hazards. Child proof locks on the cabinet where the prescription drugs are kept and where the knives are kept. I've never been a mother/taken care of kids so trying to figure out what else needs to be covered has been a challenge for me. I'm looking for suggestions. They live in a small condo, his bathroom is 6 feet from his bed. Mom also locks the car keys up every night - just in case. Have we covered all our bases? Mom is not ready for him to be placed in a home although she knows the time will come. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals