SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrelspur

Frustration with doctors

squirrelspur
13 years ago

My mother-in-law is living in another state. She has metastatic colon cancer and discontinued treatment about 1 year ago. She has been living on her own (in her early 90s) and doing well until recently. My husband went up and got her caregivers to come in a few hours/day. She started to complain about having trouble breathing. Her regular doctor would not see her until her regular apt. time 2 weeks on and said "Take her to the emergency room if you think she needs it." Well, she ended up in the hospital because she had pneumonia. Her oncologist, who also refused to see her before her regular appt. (apparently he takes blood samples regularly but doesn't say anything about them), then came to the hospital and did a CT scan. At the time, his nurse practioner told us she only had 1/4 lung capacity left . She gave us a vague prognosis of 6 weeks but then backed off on saying it was accurate. Now the oncologist wants to see her next week.

Her regular doctor now put her on oxygen. She is in a nursing home but I will go up there & take care of her at her home.

I feel like these doctors are seeing her regularly & getting money for it but when it comes down to it, they aren't telling her or us what is going on or putting her care first.

Has anyone else had issues with doctors like this?

Comments (9)

Sponsored