SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeandbarb_gw

Hello, I'm a newbie here and to taking care of my dad

mikeandbarb
18 years ago

I guess it might help to have a little back ground here. My grandparents had a house and had purchased the lot next to it, when my father married in 1952 they gave him the lot and he built a home on that lot so I grew up next door to my grandparents. In the 70's my uncle came to live with my grandparents and ended up living there till he past away last Jan.

Being that he lived next door he and my dad looked out and took care of each other, this was great and worked out so wonderful leaving me free to take care of my own life.

Now that my uncle has past I am now having to take full care of my dad whom is not able to do thing's for himself due to an injury that left him unable to do the smallest of task around the house, like make up his bed, take off a lid to a jar, Lift anything that weights more then a pound, thing's of this nature.

Sometimes I'm scare with him living alone, sometimes he looks at me when it's time to leave with sad eye's like do I really have to go. I am married so I have a husband to think of too.

I have a question able my dad's condition ....He has some problems making a decision and he is unsure of making a decision at times. He has high blood pressure and on medication, he takes 20 mg of potassium and when it has been low he has had problems with decision making and memory problems. Is this just from his potassium being low or could something else be going on too?

I've tried to get him to move in with my husband and I but he doesn't want to leave the two homes till everything is settled which it is just now being set up for probate on his parents home. I know forcing him would not be good on him and it would not make things any easier for myself. BTW..I am disabled and I'm not able to do much myself in caring for him...if he fell and couldn't get up I would not be able to help him get up, If he gets down I could not take full care of him like giving him a bath or helping him on a port a pot thing. The thing's I do for him are take him breakfast in the morning, make doctor appointments, keep up with his medications, take him shopping, thing's of this nature. We sit and talk a lot he has so many stories to tell and loves telling them and I enjoy listening.

Comments (7)

Sponsored