SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sadiesadie_gw

Alzheimer's is SO difficult!!

SadieSadie
18 years ago

I know this isn't news to you folks, but I needed to say it out loud. . . or in print. I HATE ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE!

My mom is only 73 yo and is now in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's. We moved her from assisted living to the memory care unit last July, and it's just agonizing to lose her little by little.

Three of her kids live in town, and one of us sees her every day. I actually cried out loud as I drove home after today's visit. Mom was walking around and around the hallways of the building. (Yes, the unit was built with the wanderer's habits in mind, which is great. She walks miles each day, I think.) She was having conversations with imaginary people and picking up phantom things and handing them to me. She'll rarely sit down, but I got her to sit and have a cup of coffee with me.

Most heartbreaking to me is that she still recognizes me, and tries to have a conversation. She asks me a question, which is made up of words like "Tea imagine teacher he said she will table?" and then she looks so defeated when I cannot answer her.

I know I need to attend an AZ support group! But I work full-time and help DH with our construction business. I really don't want to give up another evening out of the house. I'm tired. . . !!

So I guess I'm just venting. This is SO SAD to lose my mom like this. . . I want my mother back!!

(OT, but I want my dad back, too. We lost him to cancer 4 years ago, and I swear, as hard as it was, that was almost easier to watch. At least he only had to suffer for two months.)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler