SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

I have a question concerning expenses....

carrie630
11 years ago

and how you go about accounting for them if your elderly mother lives with you.

Okay, of course, as many of your have read my posts, I not only ask these questions because I am curious to know what to do in the future, but also asking for friends who are wondering pretty much the same, as we all have parents getting up there.

First of all, when I ask this question, I am NOT looking for any handouts if a parent came to live with us temporarily while looking for an assisted living. I was just curious about something.

My mother did not raise me, but I assumed the duty of POA for her health. She does not give me any money, she is long distance and I have just been realizing that when she goes into an assisted living, I want it to be near me.

She (we) would have to sell her little house, adding to whatever she has, plus her Social Security - which would hopefully pay for assisted living.

My question is: If she has to stay with us for a certain amount of time, and she offers to let's say pay for groceries, or putting the heat up higher or just simple expenses as those - can she use her money or would that be a case of "giving it away" and having us account for what she spent.

I probably didn't word this right, but bottom line is - what is she allowed to spend of her money that would not be questioned in the case of applying for medicaid down the road? Do we pay for everything? Food, etc. (which we could but probably she would insist to chip in). Do you keep a record of what she spent while living with us?

Shambo - you have given such wonderful advice here, and have been so patient with my questions - did you also have a similar situation? Can't remember if you did.

Thanks for any replies

Carrie

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Randall Mars Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Distinctive Custom Residential Architect Serving the D.C. Metro Area