Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glucose Meters and Such

Posted by dadoes (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 27, 09 at 18:03

What is the deal with this? It's ridiculous! My grandmother receives diabetic testing supplies through MedWise. They send a new meter every year. Today the 4th one arrived. New. Improved. Results in 8 seconds. Well duhh, the current meter reads in 5 seconds. We test only 5 to 6 times per week (not often enough, I know, but granny won't tolerate much more without throwing a fuss). She already has two boxes of lancets and three vials of test strips (expiration sometime in 2010) for the current meter. I called to arrange return of the new meter. First they said there's no record of a shipment. Then the rep said the new meter is free (I'm betting somebody, somewhere, pays for it), they don't take them back, and the "manufacturer" is no longer carrying the current meter. She said to trash the "old" meters whether they work or not, or give them away. I have advised them not to send more supplies until I contact them to do so. I told the rep that again today, remains to be seen if it holds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glucose Meters and Such

Could you find someone to donate the new stuff to? Talk to your local pharmacy, medical staff, nursing home, senior citizens, or even domestic violence group. With the economy as it is, I would think someone could use it. Even check with your veternary. Animals get shots/tested too.

o
RE: Glucose Meters and Such

I have to agree with mariend, especially in today's economy that there must be someone who could use the meters. Makes you wonder if the company in question is charging the government a lot of extra charges. I know that the medicare system in the past was full of alot of wasteful practices, and they might just be continuing as they have been for years, but perhaps you can call the medicare hotline and ask them to check on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here