SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissas_gw

Have money questions about elderly grandma

melissas
15 years ago

My grandmother, aged 92, lives on her own. It's become apparent to my father, her only living child, that although physically she is fine, financially she is unable to care for herself. She hasn't paid her rent, gas, or electric in 4 months. She constantly opens and closes her bank accounts, causing bills directly withdrawn from her account to bounce. My dad took over her finances, to which grandma agreed. He paid the bills and gave her cash to pay for food and incidentals ($650). After 3 days she ran out of money, and called him, wanting more. She won't tell him what she did with the money. He said she could only have a little more cash, and if he gave her more she wouldn't have money for her other bills. Well, she got angry and called the police and told them he was stealing from her because he wouldn't give her the money. So my dad said, "fine" and backed off, letting her take over the bills again. My dad has contacted every agency he could think of to try to get help for her, but can't find any. When anyone investigates the situation they say nothing can be done because she's lucid, physically healthy, and able to care for herself and her home. This is causing my dad a lot of stress, and a lot of angst for me. Is there anything that can be done to "force" her to allow him to care for her money? He already has power of attorney, but that means nothing to her bank.Thanks.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm