Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas on Dresses for Elderly Soon to Be MIL

Posted by realitykraft (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 06 at 9:13

We are getting married in early May and I don't have a clue where to get my mother in law to be a dress. She is totally dependant on us for her shopping. I cannot imagine taking her to Macy's and making her try on clothes.
Advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas on Dresses for Elderly Soon to Be MIL

give us a little more info and we might be able to help
how old is she, does she have any handicaps/disabilities?
how 'formal' is the wedding, what size does she wear? any other info you can provide?

Carolyn

o

• Posted by
    connie-k
    (gw:connie-k) on
    Fri, Feb 24, 06 at 21:08

Does it have to be something new. Maybe you could re-fresh something that she already has. My mil hated spending money on new clothes. Sometimes I could add a new top or bottome to something she already had and she would accept this easier.
I also often would say-My friend has just lost alot of weight and she left me this bag of clothes. Let see if this might fit you, I hate to just turn it into rags. She really like this. (she was always a penny pincher).
Good Luck

o

There are some great deal on evening gowns/Mother of the Bride/Groom dresses on E-bay! You can't beat the prices! You can put in a search for her size and they will send you e-mails daily. I was amazed at the great prices & selection. Some were only worn one time or were even NWT (new with tags) Just try to look for description that say is was stored in a non-smoking environment, otherwise you might end up with cigarette odors.

I just got a gown for my Mom for my son's wedding in June, because I would never be able to get her to go shopping. Also my mom only wants to attend the church ceremony and not the reception. I can't justify the price for something she may only use a couple hours. The dress we got her is a very pretty celedon color with a suitcoat jacket so she doesn't get cold from the a/c. We might just have to have it hemmed, but I can mark it and have it done without her having to go. Also, I will be looking for a very low shoe or slipper as she doesn't need to wear heels (Too dangerous for falls) She has Alzheimers' and gets way too uncomfortable around a lot of people.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Blessings ~~ katclaws

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here