Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Things are so slow here!!!

Posted by heydeborah (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 23:46

Hi everyone! we have alot of snow today about 6 inches of the white stuff, very pretty, but terrible driving! since Al wanted to watch "24" and something else, Carley and i drove to the video store, it is a 2 minute drive usually and it took us 15 minutes, we rented a stupid movie, i was not impressed by all the swearing she liked it i didn't, oh well, she wants to see Rent when it comes out, it only lasted 5 days here at the theatre. we went to 2 thrift stores, on Friday, and i got a sweater and top, all new (i think i said that we are the distribution center of new items, sweater was an expensive 6.99 and top 3.99, sweater i saw at the mall was 119.00 and top was 95.00! i also got a pair of shoes from Wal----t, yes we have them here and so did she they were 5.00 a pair! i'm busy knitting a heavy sweater for Matthew, our kids hate wearing winter coats and especially in the car, i tell them one of these days it's going to stall then what are you going to do? - kids-lol. al is in alot of pain from this mild damp weather, and i think he has been up the last 2 nights, i don't think i've ever seemn it this warm, its -2C, or about 30 or so usually it about -25F! BP i'm reading Sara Parkesky's book, Fire Sale, it's pretty good so far, and oh yes, i picked up 15 pocket books on the weekend too! i also had to buy a new pay as you go phone, because my battery died, a new battery would be the same as a new phone, plus they give you a 100.00 phone card, so it works out to be free, i love it, i can donate the old phone because 911 will still work, they are given to battered women, good idea! i also get a new phone number, good to, because there are some people out there that i wish i never gave it too in the first place. well that's all the news here in the great white north! keep warm! debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Things are so slow here!!!

Nice day today, but we're looking for wind and rain in a few hours. At least we're warm!!! We went to the library today and got enough books to keep me busy if I can sit still enough to read. this time of year, I always want to GO. SOMEWHERE. I don't care where, I just want to GO. I thinnk a drive around town would work. Maybe I should talk to the DH.
PB

o

I think it must be the post-holiday blahs. It's slow all over, I think. And the wierdness from iVillages did nothing but scare more people away.

Sigh.

o

• Posted by
    connie-k
    (gw:connie-k) on
    Wed, Jan 18, 06 at 17:36

Hi Deb and everyone,
Here in lower Michigan we got a very wet snow. The tree's were just beautiful this morning. Hope it does not get to cold to night and end up with ice on them. That is so hard on the tree's.
It has been almost 2 years since my caregiving days ended. So I don't visit this forum as much as I use to, but I do keep all of you in my prayers and thoughts, I remember the road--long and hard somedays---others were better. Keep on keeping on. You will be pleased with yourself at the end of the road.
Got a nice surprise today. Another Grandchild is on the way.
Boy they know in about 3-4 weeks now, after conception.
Connie (who can't keep a secret, so telling all of you)

o

Hey Deb...It is slow here too as far as work. Dh is in construction and it is slowing down. Usually happens this time of year. You can travel and find jobs, which are in Rock Springs Wyoming, or in Ohio. Possibly in Miss, where the hurricane went through. Husband is a pipefitter welder and we have bee ndoing this for 30 years. Kinda getting old, but it can be exciting when you travel. We have a 36ft, Country Aire we travel in.

We got snow too, only about two or three inches, and it was wet. It was coming down a quite heavey last night and it was pretty if I say so myself. Some ice too as it started out sleeting. No school today for the kids. Tomorrow is suppose to be in the 60's so the snowmen will melt quick.

I love getting the bargains like that. I find all brand name clothes in places like that. Beats paying the higher prices.

Husband says send some maghogany wood, doesn't it come from Canada? He says that is where you can get it. he does woodworking ,and works with cherry ,walnut and oak, and much of what he can get his hands on. Son has land in New York, and they expect to get some fro mthe trees there someday as they mature.

Well ya'll all take care, and wish real hard for spring. I can't wait. Would love to head south. How is Al, Debbie? I knwo you said he wasn't doing to good and had spent some sleepless nights. When does it get summer there, I imagine that helps alot with his aches and pains that time of year, plus gives them a boost. Does he go out much ? Well take care, and let us hear from you....HUGS Gabby

o

Hey Deb...It is slow here too as far as work. Dh is in construction and it is slowing down. Usually happens this time of year. You can travel and find jobs, which are in Rock Springs Wyoming, or in Ohio. Possibly in Miss, where the hurricane went through. Husband is a pipefitter welder and we have been doing this for 30 years. Kinda getting old, but it can be exciting when you travel. We have a 36ft, Country Aire we travel in.

We got snow too, only about two or three inches, and it was wet. It was coming down quite heavey last night and it was pretty if I say so myself. Some ice too as it started out sleeting. No school today for the kids. Tomorrow is suppose to be in the 60's so the snowmen will melt quick.

I love getting the bargains like that. I find all brand name clothes in places like that. Beats paying the higher prices.

Husband says send some maghogany wood, doesn't it come from Canada? He says that is where you can get it. He does woodworking ,and works with cherry ,walnut and oak, and much of what he can get his hands on. Son has land in New York, and they expect to get some from the trees there someday as they mature.

Well ya'll all take care, and wish real hard for spring. I can't wait. Would love to head south. How is Al, Debbie? I know you said he wasn't doing to good and had spent some sleepless nights. When does it get summer there? I imagine that helps alot with his aches and pains that time of year, plus gives them a boost. Does he go out much ? Well take care, and let us hear from you....HUGS Gabby

o

Hello to all, I am going in slow most of the time these days....think it is just the time of the year. I delivered for the shop today....it was a beautiful sunny day...and one of the girls made the most beautiful vase of spring flowers...had every color of spring. Reminder for me...spring will come. Dad and I are going to sit down and go thur his catalogs and get seed ordered. Don't get on much anymore but as Connie said...I do keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless, Nora

o

Hi everyone, well i've finally woken up, i think i'm fighting off something and i've slept all day, maybe it's that featherbed we bought, so nice and a good deal 67$ for a queen size, i'll try anything to make Al comfortable, the dampness is unbelievable and the weather i won't even complain about it was -20F with the wind yesterday and i think plus 26 today. carley and her friends have went to the theatre this evening to see isold and -sorry can't remember the other name so it's just me in the living room and i get to watch anything on the 3 channels we get there by myself - one channel is hockey-can't believe that matthew played since he was 5 and i never learnt anything, i'd bring my knitting and stay away from all those screaming people. Nora when i was shoppping yesterday i noticed that the seed are are out in stores already, we buried Buddy in our garden so i've already started to plan something special for him--i know i keep on mentioning him, but i do miss him so much. i guess with our warm winter i have noticed buds on the apple tree we have. Connie i noticed last night that you had a weather warning, is everything ok, our cable - main stations like the rest of canada get detroit tv signals, congratulations another grandbaby how lucky you are! Gabby, i think probably the wood is cheaper here but not by much speciality woods sell by the lineal foot here, i do know that a 2x4 not treated is 76 cents, 3 pulp and paper mills have closed here in town, 3 out of town and alot of other places have closed their doors here, it is just terrible, i read in the paper that there were only 3 new houses that were started to be built since jan. 1 but there sure are alot of them for sale here. Al is still in alot of pain, his doctor is the leading cancer doctor here in the area (Al regular doctor retired and this is the doctor that was suggested to him to get, we here in our family are lucky to have a family doctor, we are 28 short here in the city) so he does try to keep him pain free, Al loves the spring and summer, he sits as long as he can in the ramp under his big green umbrella, and when people see him outside they all come over to chat to him or he'll come in the backyard and give me orders on how to tend to the flowers or the garden, right now with this sat. tv, he controls the remote (like every man - lol), so we have to watch whatever he wants, oh well, he doesn't seem to relize that we can keep ourselves busy doing other things - lol. well i think my pots and pans have finished soaking, so i better get them done! debbie

o

• Posted by
    connie-k
    Sun, Jan 22, 06 at 8:37

Hi Debbie,
Well our winter storm was only a weatherman's prediction (10 inches)--we only saw 1-2.
Our week-end was going pretty well, we have been looking at new cars, mine is almost dead and I think we found what we want, came home to find our water well pump has died. It is probably 35 years old and the Well Man says we will probably have to drill a new well. Oh well, live goes on I guess.

Nora, has your dad visited the Winter Sowing forum here. I am trying it for the first time. I know I will plant inside later, but I can winter sow now, so that satisfys me until spring gets here. I have my milkweed seeds and my apple gourd seeds ordered.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/wtrsow/
Take Care
Connie

o

Connie, Just sat down with Dad tonight and we ordered more seed....I will take a look at the winter sowing forum. We have the apple gourd seeds....last fall we had a dinner at church and one of the ladies put the apple gourds on the table all painted a bright red and they had a silk green leaf glued on the top...they looked just like a huge apple....she gave me one for my Dad to have the seed. We are looking forward to planting them as well as lots of other things. In the basement he has the 3 grow lights and one of his plants that he is so proud of is a red bud tree that he started with seed from our tree in the front yard. Also going to try and plant alot of the ornamental gourds this year. Looking forward to spring....we are having alot of rain here in southeat Missouri....weather has been warm for this time of year. When do you plant your apple seed gourds??? Take care. Nora

o

• Posted by
    connie-k
    Sun, Jan 22, 06 at 21:38

Hi Nora, and everyone
I planted the apple seed gourds one other time. They got large, but my growing season was not long enough, so this year I will start them inside. I think it takes 120 days. Some years we have a nice fall, other years it freezes early.
I also have found I can not leave them outside very long, as the critters attach them, so I move them to my barn to dry.
Tell you dad to plant a few milkweeds for those Monarchs Butterflies.
Connie

o

Hi Deb - hope you, Al & kids are fine. Hope everyone has 'recovered' from the holidays, etc. Weather here is warm, iris and narcissus are blooming - we haven't had a real freeze yet....and there's only about another 45 days of 'winter' here along the Texas Gulf Coast.

Know what you mean about men and channel changers! We finally got a good rain Saturday so plants are looking better. It was so dry I actually had to run the sprinkler the weekend before.

I bought 3 tomato plants Sunday (it was in the 70s) and will put them in large pots until mid March when it is supposed to be 'safe' to plant them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here