Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
both parents - need placement in CA or MD

Posted by gneegirl (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 08 at 23:33

Hi all -

I was referred here by the Single Life Forum for some advice on permanent placement for elderly parents. One is just recovering from a stroke and the other has pretty advance dimentia, after a stroke from 4 years ago. Right now they are in a respite home (apt) in Michigan. Logistically, this is nightmare because thre is no one close by to care for them, even in the assisted living environment. I need more info on madicare/medicaide, and how the systems work for long term care for both - they have to remain together. I'd prefer the Long Beach area for their home. Any help would be appreciated - really. I just got back home from Michigan, and am worried sick - especially since they aren't answering the phone. So, urgency is in place, I guess. My step-brother is there but I can't reach him either. I'm sitting here thinking the worst but still trying to keep a stable mind in order to get immmediate care for them.

Thanks so much!!

gneegirl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: both parents - need placement in CA or MD

I live here in Los Angeles and have a tip for you. There is a wonderful service in the San Fernando Valley called S+AGE. It's run by a couple of MD's who specialize in geriatrics, they refer you to all kinds of services and support as well as offer counseling. THey do not want to be the primary doc, rather they coordinate care with all the senior's doctors and make helpful referrals. I would call them and see what's available in the Long Beach area. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: S+AGE at Sherman Oaks Hospital

o

Thanks compumom!! Since I've been home there have already been two calls from the care facility - one, an ER situation. My dad had a gran mal seizure!! He's OK, and for some reason, he is more alert and talkative since then - go figure. However, this is why I'm so concerned. Hid meds were changed and he's back at "home". I will have my step-brother contact your source as soon as he gets back to CA. Thanks so much!!

gng

o

Also contact the Senior Center on Aging in the area you want them to go to.

o

I can't help you with placement, but I did want to mention that if your father is a veteran, there is a benefit for Veterans and their wives, that helps pay for nursing home care. You should be able to track down the info through the local veteran's association. It's not enough to cover the bill, but an extra $800 or so a month certainly helps.

Good luck.

o

Yes, I also read about Vet's benefits. The article I read said that it was best to go through a group called Veteran's Express-- they knew more about the benefits than the folks at a local VA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aging Parent Solutions Newsletter

o

Hi all - I'm back at home from trying to get my folks placed somewhere safe where they can get good care. It has been a nightmare - I can't even begin to tell you. Luckly my step-brother and his wife were able to stay there for a few more days. They really did a lot and I'm sure they are exhausted!! Yesterday was the first day my folks were "on their own" as my step-brother went back home for a few weeks. They are living in a rehab type place until we can find them a more permanent place. They need a lot more care than what anyone realized.

Thanks so much for your suggestions - especially about the VA info. I'll check it out. My Dad was in the Air Force so he is eligble. He gets some VA benefits where he is now. Those services are better in MI than here in DC, IMO. So that's a good thing.

Here's hoping...

gng

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here