SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginnier_gw

Elderly Parents 'Vacation'

ginnier
18 years ago

Well, not really a true vacation, but a visit to an independent facility while hubby and I go on vacation for a week. Since I am their transportation and main source of entertainment and recreation beyond their home, I want them to go for a short visit while we are gone. At first mom was willing, dad will do whatever mom wants (grudgingly) but he says that this makes sense. Now mom is back peddling. I'm looking for support, good reasons, new angles to build my case. We have been there to eat, food was really good! We have taken the tour, people were friendly and there's lots going on, even off-campus things to go to. Mom's afraid her oxygen accumulator (that she has to have at night only) is too heavy for us to move, how heavy is that thing??? It can't be THAT heavy. Anyway, Mom is mostly sedentary, watches TV, does crosswords, plays a hand held solitaire game and likes to read, can still chat a little, play a little bridge. Dad still goes anywhere he can get a ride, lunch out with the guys, exercise club 3X a week, but he's a bump on a log at home, does VERY easy jigsaws, reads a little, orders everything he can to read/stare at; he's change mucho!

This is a great opportunity for them to try independent living...even tho they'd be in a guest room, not really the same as an apt. in their facility. They would have people checking on them, really caring about what they are up to and how they are doing, which I will not be able to do while I'm gone.

How have you succeeded in getting your loved ones to make this move, even if only temporary???

Comments (6)

Sponsored