SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bevinpa

At the end of my rope

bevinpa
15 years ago

HI everyone I have been lurking on this board for almost a year and I just wanted to get some feed back on my situation. My husband had a stoke on the right front lobe of his brain almost 5 years ago at the time we lost our grandson in a car accident. Since then he has been going down hill but this last year it has been horrible. He thinks he has to go to the bathroom every 5-15 minutes, but that is only the beginning of this horrible disease. He can not dress himself now, he can not shower right he forgets to use soap, he will get in the shower but that is it. I keep his meds out of reach because he would take them all at one time. He eats constantly and doesn't sleep well at night, he will get up and eat anything whether it's ediable or not. I take him to daycare 3 times a week so he will have something to do, but they say I have to stay with him because they are under staffed and he has to be watch closely, which sure doesn't help me out at all. The day care is supposed to give me some down time LOL. The doctor up his meds to see if that would calm him down, he is very active and won't sit still. Within the last two weeks he has fallen 5 times because he shuffles his feet when he walks,but he still wants to go outside. I hide his shoes and coat but he hunts all day for them. The doctor said the next step is a nursing home, but I really don't want to do this. My children are very supportive and take him so I can work 1 day a week, but they have young children and I can't ask them to give time up from their small children. I am getting to the end of my ropes but the doctor says that my health is in danger, I guess I just want some advice as to whether I should put him in a nursing home or not. I forgot to say he is 74, and I can't believe how fast this is going downhill. I am 67 and very exhausted. Thanks for letting me blow off some steam Bevinpa

Comments (13)

Sponsored