Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transfer chair for car

Posted by nolongerwonderwoman (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 19:25

There are machical seats that can be put into cars/minivans to help get a disabled person in and out of the vehical. I've checked into them and they are VERY expensive. However, there are no samples or ways to tryout the several models so no way to know which is best. This is something I'm looking to do in the near future.

Have any of you had any of these put in your vehical or know of someone who has?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transfer chair for car

Do you have a Council on Aging in your area? or a active senior citizen's group? Did you talk to the car dealer of the car/van and ask them for ideas? Maybe AARP could help also.
Just some ideas

o

I hadn't thought of any of those things, marie. Thanks for the ideas.

o

Another thing is if it more that you want/can spend there are agencies and other organizations that will help out. Just ask. Your medical centers, churches, and other groups have funds for these occasions.

o

While the cost is steep, I can buy the transfer seat. I just don't want to waste the money by buying a product that isn't what is suppose to be. Thanks for the suggestions tho.

o

This site will give you state by state places that sell things like you are looking for. Maybe you can find one close to you that you can actually try what you want before buying.
http://www.themobilityresource.com/mobility-solutions/dealer-locator/

Here is a link that might be useful: mobility

o

Connie: this site doesn't compare anything, only tells where one can buy a single product. Thanks anyway.

o

We purchased a used van from one of these places. We went to the store and ask to see what they had or could offer.
The one we went to had used Vans and they installed a bucket seat that swiveled and this allowed my mil to sit and then we could turn it.
Call one that is near you and see what they can tell you.
Good luck. I can tell you having a car that I could safely transport my mil gave me so much more peace of mind and freedom. When she could no longer get into the swivil seat there were wheel chair tie downs and I could get her to her doctor even after she was having to be lifted by a sling.
Good luck Keep looking and asking.

o

I hadn't thought about buying a whole new van... Even one ready built. I have a Honda Odyssey, which is one of the few mini vans that can be altered, and so I thought to add the seat to it.

o

We were told that many people who have handi-cap vans are often required by the insurance companies that are paying for them ---have to trade them in after something like 7 years and so then those are put up for sale. That is how we got the one that we got. We drove it for 2 years (did not need it anymore) and sold it for almost what we put into it.

o

I hadn't thought about the need to call our insurance company. I guess that is something else I need to do Monday. I will check on the ready-built ADA vans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here