Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nora

Posted by gabby_49 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 06 at 17:12

Just wanted to touch base and hope
all is well. I seen where you posted about your father and his plantings. I think that is great about the "red bud tree" he planted from your yard,and it is doing well. We planted several magnolias, that were very little and now they are huge. I love the flowers on them. I wanted to ask about the "grow lights and where you get them. I have several ferns I keep from year to year, and thought the grow lights would help. They seem to do fine where I have them, in a cool place. I try to keep them as replacing them every year gets expensive. Dh is layed off now and it sure is nice to enjoy home for awhile. Are you still fedding your birds? I try to and they eat the bluebird feeding to quick. I thought ,ok...little birds Dh is layed off, you may have to wait until he goes back to work....feed is so high...lol Well take care, and post soon when you have a momemt....HUGS Gabby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nora

Hello Lady, All is going o.k. around here. You ask about the grow lights....we bought Dad one at Walmart..it is small and then we just bought one of those long hanging shop lights and you can get grow light bulbs to put in them...he also has a round shop light that we put a grow light in....you should see how bright our basement is...LOL...all of his plants are doing good. It certainly keeps him busy and that is good. Yes the birds are eating well around here....just went tonight to Walmart to get Dad more bird feed....I try to get it at our local farm store.....we buy it in large bags....that also gives Dad so much pleasure to feed his birds....just the other day we had 5 cardinals in one tree outside of Dad's kitchen window. He is so looking forward to starting his plants and spring to get here....but just today he said that he thinks that we will have a bad Feb. and March....this warm weather is just not right...LOL You take care and keep that hubby busy making furniture....looked at your web site and his things are just beautiful. God Bless and keep in touch. Nora

o

Hey there you two...good to "see" both of you!! I never did get the bird feeded up this year.....maybe I can do it this afternoon. We have had a warm January, bu I know they are probably hungry now.Y'all take care. Derry

o

Hey Derry, Good to see your post. Always check out the weather where you are....it has been a warm winter for us also. We have rain today and they are telling us that cold is coming. I am working the Valentine Holiday at the shop and it will be harder to get things delivered with it being cold...you have to wrap everything....with this warm weather I noticed that I have bulb plants coming up and some of our trees have buds. Crazy!!! I am looking forward to spring coming and staying. Hope all has been well for you. God Bless, Nora

o

Hey Nora....I hope I can catch you again and you see this post. Thanks so much for the "info". About the shop lights and grow lights. Will certaintly try and find them. Yes, I think everyone is having a above warm winter. My bradford pears are "budding". I think the trees as well as us, don't knwo what is happening. We are still home and Dh laid off. It is nice being home as we are getting things doen that need ot be, plus working on the R.V. We washed it yesterday and it was so warm out in the 60's. I steamcleaned the carpets, and now I am going to unload some that doesn't neccessary need to be in there. You knwo how you can accumalate so much. I wallpapered my dowstairs bath and finally got it finished. It started out kinda a mess as I had ot spray and get the final backing off of the other . I got it done tho. Nothign is ever 'simple" huh?

I need to make some more bluebird feed, for the birds. They just go through it so fast. We heard "robins" yesterday singing. It sounded so good but I think they are mixed up too...lol. Yes, I need ot buy in the balk ,the bird food and will do that, this spring. Hoping Dh can get on here soon at the new LGE plant which is having a expansion built. We are tired of being goen in the summer. Well take good care of your Father and hope he enjoys his plants . At least he has something to keep him busy. I think when they don't is when they go downhill. Valentine Day is almost here, and I bet you will be busy. I thought you quit work, but do you just go and help out at times? Take care ,and write soon....HUGS Gabby..P. S...Thanks for the compliment on husbands wood work. That one shelf is solid walnut, but the picture does not do justice. I have that behind my sofa couch. He just made two 10 ft shelfs for this lady and she was overwhelmed at how they come out.They were over the window style. Going now....lets look real hard for spring...Love Gabby

o

you all are so lucky, seems all we have here are sea gulls, pidgeons--which a neighbour feels she must feed! and crows on fridays, which is garbage day and little sparrows, we won't get robins till about may and blue jays, we just love feeding the birds too! but no buds on trees yet even though its plus 30 out right now i don't remember it ever being this warm, the other day it was 44 out our weather this time of the year is about -18F! we have snopw today and yesterday and Carley is home because her exams are done, she goes back to school on monday anbd only has 2 classes and she is done high school! matthew went back to his "new family" till next week, he did stay over here from friday to last night, he had to use all his holidays up or lose them, monday was my big 50! the family got me a beautiful bracelet and a book--not a mystery! but crafts to do on the weekends, it looks like alot of fun, we also had takeout for supper, it was very nice and quiet and you can see how homesick matthew is, but for selfish reasons i an making him sweat it out afew more days, i don't want him to think we own a house with a revolving door plus i want him to learn a lesson from all of this! Nora, do flowers go up 3-4 times as much where you are at valentines, i know a dozen sweetheart roses are 9.99 now and they will go up to 49.99, you must be so tired at the end of the day! i am so looking forward to spring, you think that living up in the great white north, we'd be outdoorsy people! but i hate shovelling, but i do love it right after a snowfall and the snow is on the trees and everything looks so white. well the dryer buzzed so i better get on to the next load of stuff! debbie

o

Well Happy Birthday Debbie!!!! I can remember when I turned the big 50. Just a few years ago, but you sure can't stop time. Wish we could tho. We haven't seen any snow for so long and as far as I am concerned it can stay gone. I do love it at night when it is snowing and so warm inside, but by morning it could all melt away. It has been usually warm here, and most of the country. Wonder what is going on. Well we are getting a break from the R.V. as we are home now. Dh is laid off. No work anywhere ,but it will pick up. Stay warm !!! Sea gulls, that reminds me of the south. HUGS Gabby

o

Debbie, Happy,Happy Birthday!!! I remember the "50"....that was 8 years ago. Like Gabby we haven't had but just a few little snow falls and don't last long. If I could I would send you some of our beautiful cardnals...I love to just watch them feed. We have 7 birdfeeders around our yard.LOL Keeps Dad and I busy but brings so much joy in watching them. Yes flowers go up in price before Valentine's Day....The shops roses will be 55.00 a dozen.....I will be working 3 days before the 14th...we have to cut flowers and start arranging...worked Monday..one of the girls was sick....people are already calling in their orders. I will do some designing but mostly the boss wants me to answer the phone and help up front when they come into the shop. I like to do that more than designing. Have fun with your craft projects....for Christmas I made soap for gifts...that was fun. God Bless and hope all is well with you. Nora

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here