SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

Medicare info needed

eileenlaunonen
16 years ago

My father is 89 and very ill right now he is in the hospital with double pnemonia..not good and also has been diagnosed with early stage of dementia and a heart condition....PROBLEM: he lives in his home with my dear sister (she works full time 7am to 4:30) shes a saint and does everything for him. We (me and my 3 brothers 8 grandchildren and 3 daughter in laws) all pitch in as much as we can ass everyone works full time. He has been retired since 1972 and has a minimal pension and Social security. We are in the midst of trying to qualify him for Medicade...in the interim I spoke with his doctor to see if MEDICARE can provide a nurse or aid a few hour at least Monday to Friday..his secretry made calls for us and the Medicare case worker said "NO" he is not entitled for us to hire PRIVATELY...there is NO money for this just a few thousand he has set aside for burial. My father is a WWII vetrean with 2 Purple Hearts and the Veteran Association denied care in the home too....A neighbor came across yesterday to my sister and said if the doctors will provide a script for Hospice Medicare has to provide nursing...IS THIS TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP with any advice appreciated...we a distraught but yet my Dad is not at a place yet where a nursing home 24/7 is necessary yet he is incapable of fully caring for himself throughout a full workday....The VA has a outpatient program but its a 150.00 a day if you dont have MEDICADE....Guess the 2 Purple Hearts dont count either!!!!!!!!!!1

Comments (17)

Sponsored