SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

Liquid Suppliments

CA Kate z9
10 years ago

My DH now has a feeding tube that goes directly into his stomach. The hospital dietitian set us up with a program to automatically deliver liquid food that can be fed to him thru the tube. In our case it was Glucerna, but could also have been an Ensure product.

After a couple of weeks more ( plus two and a half weeks in hospital ) DH started getting severe stomach pain every time we fed him and severe sweating bouts. Calls to the dietitians provided no information... a total waste of my time.

Starting at Thanksgiving my DD made him strained vegetable smoothies in addition to the Glucerna. He would still react every time we gave him the Glucerna or Ensure products. Since Christmas I've been giving him nothing but strained smoothies made of either a vegetable base or an oatmeal base. He's had no more stomach problems AND the profuse sweating has stopped.

It is apparent that he really is terribly allergic to something in those suppliment products. I wanted to warn any of you who might be giving your disabled person these food suppliments over a long period of time that you might need to watch for reactions .

Comments (10)

Sponsored