SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbiepeever

Commemorating a life and giving back to a nursing home

debbiepeever
17 years ago

My brother's god father of whom I as well as our family was very close to just died at the age of 94. My brother and I called him "uncle" throughout his lifetime. He was in a very dignified nursing home for the past two years of which the care was incredulous.

I visited him weekly and it was very hard for me to see him deteriorate at a fast rate within the last month - but no matter when I or anyone I now find out - would visit, he would always have a smile on his face and utter out a joke he had heard. He was the most unselfish of people, and raised a son of which survived the World Trade Centre Tragedy and saved another life while fighting for his own in the trade centre.

My family would like to do something special to commemorate his life - and we felt that since the care was so good that we would like to do something through the nursing home.

My uncle's name was Harold William Lewis Clark, of which he said the acronyms of his name meant Handle With Loving Care. I was hoping to add this into the comendation but have already given the head nurse a plaque of which I embedded a poem regarding a caregiver and her love.

I guess I am asking two questions - as I just had a thought about planting a tree in their courtyard with a plaque "handle with loving care". Would this be enough to commemorate his life and give back to the nursing home - as a plaque like that would leave a person with a nice thought.

Please let me know what everyone thinks. Or if you have other ideas!!!

Thank you!

Debbie

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath