SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xminion

How to broach subject of possible dementia?

xminion
13 years ago

I am concerned about my SIL. She and my DB don't live near me - but we keep in touch. In the past five years I've noticed some cognitive decline in her. She is only 64. However, in her entire life she never excercised or dieted. In fact, she is overweight. She still works as a nurse, but her only hobbies she's ever had are eating and shopping.

What I am saying here, is that she really never took care of herself mentally or physically.

Last year when I saw her, she told me she couldn't remember that I had ever been to her house! Then, she made a comment like "Oh, gosh, my memory!" Last night I called her on the phone and she called me by our cousin's name.

She must have alot of support at work in order to still function at work like she is. I have not discussed these observations with my brother. They do not have any children, nor anyone close by to take care of them as they get older.

Living in other state - it's hard for me to help, though. Should I broach the subject of her cognitive decline with DB?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County