Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are Any of Your Loved Ones on Aricept

Posted by gagesgranny (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 24, 12 at 8:15

My 85 year old Mother was put on Aricept yesterday. She is experiencing some memory problems and confusion. What side effects should I expect from this medication? Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are Any of Your Loved Ones on Aricept

My husband is 65 and takes Aricept. I have not noticed any side effects. Perhaps ask her doctor or a pharmacist.

o

Thank you, Jannie. The doctor told me that some have upset stomach and some have diahrea (spelling) and thats about all. My Mom did have one day so far that she said she was extremely exhausted and just did not feel good. One other day it seemed like her speech was a little slurred. Guess I am just expecting the worse.

How long has your husband been on Aricept? Is it helping him? He is very young to be on this prescription.

o

My mom has been on it for years and it has helped tremendously. I haven't been aware of any negative side effects. Her care taker said it is the Nimenda that gives her loose stools.

My MIL went on it and had no noticeable benefit. Works differently with different people. Hope your mom does well with it.

o

My husband has had Multiple Sclerosis with "Alzheimers-like" symptoms, according to his neurologist. He was prescribed Aricept for the memory problems. He no longer drives, is mainly bedridden, cannot even cook for himself. About a year ago, his neurologist prescribed both Aricept and Namenda, but he had a bad reaction to the medications he was taking, had seizures, was hospitalized a month, was taken off all meds and was prescribed Aricept maybe 6 months ago. I don't really think it's done him any good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here